The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson I started this book several times and always put it aside in favor of something else. Then in the space of one week three people asked me if I had read it. After being appropriately horrified that I had started and not finished it, suggested I plug away at it a little bit more. Oh boy, am I glad I did. After the introductory part of the book it started moving along at a fast pace. The characters are original and Lisbeth Salander is one of my favorite female characters in a long time. Mikael Blomkvist’s search for the 40-year missing Harriet takes so many twists and turns I really didn’t anticipate the ending. The fact that Larsson is a Swedish author and the book a translation, I found it had a different “flavor” which greatly added to the story.

After finishing the first book I quickly downloaded the other two onto my ereader. I have to get through a couple of holds that came in from the library, and then will getting right back to the next adventure with Lisbeth and Mikael.

While I was at the library picking up one of my requests I saw the movie on the “quick views” shelf and grabbed that too. Sadly, as usual, I felt the movie did not do the book justice. In my humble opinion the casting of Michael Nyqvist as Blomkvist was excellent. As good a job as Noomi Rapace did as Salander I felt the characterization was just not edgy enough. I think I should stop trying to find a movie that is “as good as” the book.