Don't Breathe a Word: A Novel

Don't Breathe a Word: A Novel - Jennifer McMahon There was always something a little bit odd about the small town of Harmony, Vermont. It’s proximity to Reliance, where all the residents, save one crying baby, disappeared in one day didn’t help its reputation. But it was home to Lisa, Sam and their cousin Eve. Lisa was always fascinated by fairies – what little girl isn’t? But her stories began to include a dark fairy king who wanted to take her to be his queen – then, one evening she walked into the woods behind her house and disappeared. Fifteen years later Lisa’s mysterious fairy book reappears and Sam begins getting telephone calls from someone claiming to be Lisa. Could it truly be Lisa or some cruel hoax?

The story sounds intriguing doesn’t it? In many respects it was, and it managed to keep me enthralled for about 2/3 of the book. Then the story began taking so many different twists and turns (which I usually do not mind), but I could get past the feeling that Ms. McMahon had many plot ideas she wanted to explore and tried to fit them in to the last third of this book. I lost a little bit of interest and found myself skimming just to get it read. That didn’t do the book justice, so when I got the end I was a bit disappointed.