The Night Strangers: A Novel

The Night Strangers: A Novel - Chris Bohjalian From the book decription: “In a dusty corner of a basement in a rambling Victorian house in northern New Hampshire, a door has long been sealed shut with 39 six-inch-long carriage bolts. The home's new owners are Chip and Emily Linton and their twin ten-year-old daughters. Together they hope to rebuild their lives there after Chip, an airline pilot, has to ditch his 70-seat regional jet in Lake Champlain due to double engine failure. The body count? Thirty-nine. What follow is a riveting ghost story with all the hallmarks readers have come to expect from bestselling, award-winning novelist Chris Bohjalian: a palpable sense of place, meticulous research, an unerring sense of the demons that drive us, and characters we care about deeply. The difference this time? Some of those characters are dead.”

Again, all the best potential for a good, frightening haunting, and yes, there were definitely ghosts in this book and a creepy house. However, I felt it was more a case of a man haunted by his own guilt. Throw in some witches, the power of being born twins and a secret plan and the book deviates from being a great ghost story.

Don’t get me wrong, this was a good book, but not what I was looking for.