A Dying Fall

A Dying Fall - Elly Griffiths Forensic archaeologist Ruth Galloway is surprised to receive a letter from a university friend that she has not seen in 20 years; especially since she found out the day before that he had died in a house fire. The letter asks whether Ruth would be interested in helping on an exciting archaeological discovery he had recently made. Ominously, the letter also states that he “… is afraid. That’s it, just afraid”. Despite her misgivings her curiosity is peeked and she heads off to Lancashire. Coincidentally enough, DCI Harry Nelson (the married father of her daughter) is vacationing in the same place. Avoiding each other is not an option as strange things about the dig and the university come to light and both Ruth and Harry are drawn into the investigation.

Elly Griffiths has given readers another great entry in this series. The usual cast was included in the story and to my delight we learned a little more about Cathbad, one of my favorite of Ruth’s friends. In my personal opinion this is the best book in the series so far.