The Keepsake

The Keepsake - Tess Gerritsen The unlikely discovery of a mummy, long forgotten, in the Boston’s Crispin Museum is an archaeologist’s dream come true. With modern scanning techniques it can be studied without causing any damage to the specimen. However, when a modern day bullet is found in the leg of the mummy, with no explanation as to how it might have gotten there, this mummy soon becomes a homicide victim. Enter Detectives Rizzoli and Isles to solve this mystery. Coincidentally a young archaeologist, Josephine Pulcillo, seems to be in the center of every lead they follow. Discovering her connection to this unusual case takes them on a journey dating back several decades to a mysterious dig in Egypt.

Although I have only read one other book in Ms. Gerritson’s Rizzoli and Isles series, I had no trouble following the action or characters in this book. It can definitely be read independently of the series. The topic interested me and there were enough twists and turns to move the story along. A good quick read for the end of summer.