Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen - Christopher McDougall This book begins with the author (a runner) asking the question “Why does my foot hurt?” Not happy with the answers he receives from convention physiotherapists and sports injury specialists he starts to look at other runners. Through his research he discovers and introduces the reader to the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico who for centuries have enjoyed running for everything from recreation to hunting (running down deer). Along with the Tarahumara we are introduced to many ultra-marathon runners and “Barefoot Ted” and his concept of, obviously, running barefoot.

When I think of marathoners I am always plagued with the question “Why do people do this to themselves?” This book explains a lot. Whether you are a serious runner, a fitness oriented runner or someone like me who just wonders “why” this book is a must read. Mr. McDougall looks at the history, the science and the love of running in short, enjoyable vignettes written in an easy to read very entertaining manner. Word of warning … it may just inspire you to go out and give it a try, after all as he points out, we humans were truly “born to run”.