Murder in Italy: Amanda Knox, Meredith Kercher and the Murder Trial that Shocked the World - Candace Dempsey Amanda Knox left Washington for the small Umbrian university town of Perugia to complete a year of studying abroad and to brush up on her Italian language skills. Many students take advantage of opportunities to study abroad, but for Amanda her year abroad turned into a legal nightmare. Coming home one morning she discovers the body of her murdered roommate, Meredith Kercher. After months of half-hearted investigation, language barriers and poor forensics she finds herself and her boyfriend, Raffaele Sollecito sentenced to prison for 26 and 25 years, respectively.

This story has captured headlines around the world and also captured the imagination of a friend of mine. In an attempt to be able to carry on an intelligent conversation I picked up this book to familiarize myself with what happened. Admittedly, if you enter “Amanda Knox Trial” as a Google search this information is readily available, but I found that Ms. Dempsey put it together in an engaging, chronological manner, without offering any personal suppositions.