The Informationist

The Informationist - Taylor Stevens Vanessa Michael Munroe is specialist in gathering information for corporations that no one else seems to be able to get. Her past is checkered and her connections are many, and this aids her in her successful career. Hired by a Texas millionaire to find his long missing daughter is a little outside the boundaries of what she usually does, but the 5 million dollar paycheck makes it an offer she cannot turn down. Of course, nothing is ever as easy as it seems, especially when 5 million dollars are involved.

In my opinion there are two types of adventure thrillers. The first where you accept that it is going to be a roller coaster ride from start to finish (Matthew Reilly), you accept it for what it is and enjoy the ride. The second draws you a little deeper into the characters and has not necessarily plausible situations but less improbable ones. Ms. Stevens tries to combine the two and falls short on both. There were times in reading this book that I just wanted to climb between the pages and say enough already. That’s a frustrating feeling so I couldn’t enjoy this book as much as some others. The one saving grace for me was the strong, intelligent, no nonsense female protagonist. Seeing more and more of them cropping up in fiction and I like the trend.