Stealing Rembrandts: The Untold Stories of Notorious Art Heists

Stealing Rembrandts: The Untold Stories of Notorious Art Heists - Anthony M. Amore, Tom Mashberg Stealing works of art has been happening since man started expressing himself in forms of art. Surprisingly enough, to me personally, is the fact that Rembrandt’s works are among the most often stolen. This book details some of the most famous of those thefts and notorious art thieves in the past century.

Mr. Amore is a security expert and currently head of security at the Isabella Gardner Museum in Boston. Mr. Mashberg is a veteran investigative reporter. Drawing on their vast experience they write an informative and interesting book on art theft. I particularly enjoyed the writing style and progression of this book. As they discuss the theft of specific Rembrandt works the authors give the reader details about Rembrandt himself, his art and offer insight into the thieves. When possible they include interviews with the thieves themselves. It makes for fascinating reading.

I was fortunate enough to have recently seen the “Rembrandt’s Faces of Jesus” exhibit and wish I had read this book before visiting the gallery. As much as I enjoyed the exhibit, I might have had more appreciation for some of the nuance with the background information offered in this book.