The End of Everything

The End of Everything - Megan Abbott Lizzie and Evie are thirteen years old, next door neighbours, inseparable friends for life who share everything from bathing suits to deep dark secrets. One day after school Evie disappears and Lizzie begins to realize that there is one secret that they did not share. As the, so far, unsuccessful search for Evie continues Lizzie begins to realize that she could have some of the clues to help bring her back. As the story progresses the reader is taken further into the lives of these young girls and their families. And as much as Lizzie desperately wants her best friend back she is also beginning to revel in being the center of attention and she seems to find one piece of evidence after the other with regards to the whole disappearance.

As an overall read I would not say this book was outstanding, but if you read carefully and look a little bit between the lines the story becomes so much more than on the surface. It raises questions in the reader’s mind about what exactly was going on in these homes so touched by tragedy. In that sense the book was a little haunting. In writing this review I suddenly realize that I am not sure if I liked the book or not. Hmmmm …