The City of Falling Angels

The City of Falling Angels - John Berendt Mr. Berendt happened to be visiting Venice in January of 1996 when a fire destroyed the Fenice Opera House. Being an author, it would make sense that he decided to write about it.

Including “Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil” among my favorite books I had some high expectations for this book. As an account of the fire and the resulting chaos - it was interesting, but as Mr. Berendt delves a little further back into the history and inhabitants of the city the book seems to lose a little momentum. Each chapter is filled with interesting people and their stories but the chapters are little vignettes that do not really come together to make for a book that has a beginning, a middle and an end.

If I were reading this book as a “travelogue” it would be brilliant. I would be highlighting sections of “must sees” and their history, but as a book read for entertainment; I personally feel it fell a little short. I will keep it on my shelf, and who knows, someday I might be planning a trip to Venice and will pull it out to plan some interesting days.