Beauty Queens

Beauty Queens - Libba Bray Let’s see, how can I describe this book in one sentence? Toddlers and Tiaras (the teen version) meets Survivor meets Big Brother and seasoned with a little bit of Lord of the Flies, throwing in a dash of Gilligan’s Island just for fun. I was expecting a bit of YA fluff when I picked up this book. But I was willing to give it a chance because I very much enjoyed Ms. Bray’s Rebel Angels trilogy. And I was right … it was fluff … but oh boy, it was fluff with a message.

This book is a humorous, no-holds-bared satire and Ms. Bray spares no one. She tackles monopolizing corporations, egomaniacal former beauty queens with political aspirations, arms dealing dictators, hit men, the beauty pageant system, stage moms and commercialism.

I picked this up as an audio book and cringed a little when I saw Ms. Bray was also the reader. In my experience good authors do not always make good readers. In this case I was more than pleasantly surprised. Ms. Bray is AMAZING. Well deserved applause all around.