11/22/63

11/22/63 - Stephen King Jake Epping is a high school english teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine. He is 35-years old and has led a pretty non-descript life. A few moments to take pride in as far as his teaching career is concerned, but overall, nothing exciting. Until one night when he visiting a local diner owner with a big secret. Unbelievable as it seems to Jake there is a Alice in Wonderland type rabbit hole right behind the diner. This rabbit hole does not lead to an imaginary land but to Lisbon Falls circa 1958.

Enter the age old time travel question. If you could go back in history and change one significantly pivotal event … would you? What would be the consequences? Would there be any consequences if you knew that stepping back into the present and then back into the past would undo everything. Jake decides it is worth the risk and spends five years in the past hoping to stop the assassination of JFK. But is anything ever that easy? Not in Mr. King’s world. After all, the past is obdurate.

This latest by Mr. King is a little step out of the horror genre and a tip-toe into historical fiction. I liked it! Mr. King obviously did his research with regards to Oswald and Kennedy, but the interpretation of the late 50’s and early 60’s is wonderful. I found myself lost in the days before the civil rights movement, fast food restaurants, terrorist threats, gun-control and smoking by-laws. As always Mr. King’s characters are wonderful. He acknowledges that every good character has a little bad and the villains of history have their little share of goodness. Admittedly I am a huge King fan, but this would be a good King book for non-fans of the horror genre.

In the author afterword Mr. King welcomes a new grand-daughter into the King family. I can only hope he is not in charge of bedtime story selection.