V is for Vengeance

V is for Vengeance - Sue Grafton The reader is once again invited to ride along with private detective Kinsey Millhone solving one of her cases. This one is a little different from the others in that it starts out without a client. While doing something as mundane as shopping for underwear Kinsey spots a shoplifter. Doing the “right thing” she reports the shoplifter to the store personnel. The next day the elderly female shoplifter is found dead of an apparent suicide. Hmmmm. With that, it’s off the races with a case that involves a shoplifting ring, a loan shark with a heart of gold and a likeable ex-con. Throw Henry’s sister’s hip surgery into the mix and it makes for a topsy-turvy read. In the best of ways!

I have been reading Ms. Grafton since A is for Alibi and this is one of my favorite of her books. She has finally dispensed with defining Kinsey’s dysfunctional family and concentrated on the story line of the book. I enjoyed that. This book also felt a little more ambitious than the past few books in this alphabet series as there were three separated story lines going on that converged at the end in (for this reader) a most satisfying way.