Fifty Shades of Grey

Fifty Shades of Grey - E.L. James Sweet, young and virginal college student Anastasia Steele is doing her sick friend a favour when she goes to interview multi-billionaire Christian Grey. As soon as she walks into his office the attraction is palpable. He is kind enough to warn her that he is “not the man for her” but this does not deter him from pursuing her to the point of stalking. You see, Christian has a secret. Instinct clouded by sheer physical attraction Ana agrees to see Christian and agrees to sign a non-disclosure agreement (what girlfriend wouldn’t?) and he quickly introduces her to his “red room of pain” explaining he likes to engage in BDSM. Ignoring her better judgement Ana listens to her “inner goddess” and decides to experiment with Christian.

This book has been getting quite a bit of hype and I understand there is a movie in the works. Personally, I don’t get it. I have no objection to erotic literature, and there is some that is very well done, but this book falls flat. In fact, as I was reading I couldn’t help but think if the author left out the “kinky” stuff it could well pass as YA. Ana is beyond annoying (she is involved with a “dominant” and keeps repeating “he is sooooo controlling” … dah!) and Christian, rather than being the erotic teacher, falls half a step short of creepy stalker dude (no amount of money and good looks could make up for his actions, even outside his red room!).

And now I am about to say something very sad. Despite the fact that this is not the best writing I have read I have an idea in my head as to where the story is going to go … I NEED to find out if I am right … so sadly am going to venture on to the second book in the series. That’s the price of my frustrated writer/inquiring minds personality.