The Unruly Passions of Eugenie R.

The Unruly Passions of Eugenie R. - Carole DeSanti, Kate Reading Eugenie R. was raised in the countryside of France on a farm that produces fois gras. When a handsome and titled man professes his love for her she flees to Paris on the promise that he will soon follow. When he does not show up at their meeting place Eugenie finds herself left to her own devices and quickly trapped in the underbelly of Parisian society. Through Eugenie’s eyes we witness Paris in the mid 1800’s, the artists, the bordellos, the politics and the scandals, but most importantly the treatment of women.

This book is historical fiction at its best. Despite the fact that the subject material, true to 19th century Paris, is a little tawdry and very gritty Ms. DiSanti presents the reader with a beautifully written novel. Eugenie’s movements from farm girl, to abandoned lover, to prostitute, to single mother is embellished by what is going on at the time. Everything fits nicely. I enjoyed following Eugenie’s life from “poor little me” through to a woman standing her ground.