The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games - Suzanne  Collins From the official book description “In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games," a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed.”
I hadn’t planned on reading this series, but once again was convinced by friends and family that they thought I would enjoy it. I did! Ms. Collins has given us a black and white world of good and bad populated by characters that I wanted to cheer for. After suffering in the arena with Katniss and Peeta, being equally enthralled and repulsed by the Capitol and anticipating what would happen when they returned to District 12 I didn’t want to stop reading. Classified as young adult, this book will appeal to readers of every age. Ms. Collins has penned a griping story on its own, but look a little deeper and there is a lot to learn. I can’t wait to start the second in the series.