Catching Fire

Catching Fire - Suzanne  Collins The reader rejoins Katniss and Peeta in District 12 as they prepare to go on their “Victory Tour”. Healed of the physical wounds they both received during the Games that year they, however, cannot escape from the emotional scars and nightmares they both still endure. Travelling through the Districts they cannot help but see the faces of people not much different from those in their own district. In an unanticipated move of kindness during the tour Peeta sets the stage for the beginning of a new revolution. Now the Capitol needs to get its revenge and stem this revolution. As Katniss and Peeta are once again thrown into the Games arena the reader is left wondering which one will emerge … and how.

I found this book a little slower than the first and I was a little disappointed in the first part of this book. It describes the homecoming after the games, but as a recap done by Katniss and not as it was happening. I felt a little left out. Then after the surprise announcement about the 25-year interim games (was it really that much of a surprise?) it seemed a little like a fast-forward revisit of the first book. I was captivated again when the games started and things began to fall into place. I had strictly forbidden the people who recommended these books to me to give me any hints about what happens, so the ending really did catch my totally by surprise. I already have the third book open to the first page.