Odd Apocalypse

Odd Apocalypse - Dean Koontz Odd’s new friend Annamaria has used her unusual charm to convince the current and reclusive owner of Roseland to allow them an extended stay in the guest-house of his estate. Despite its name there is nary a rose to be found, but there are numerous goings on that can only be described as thorny. Of course with Odd’s ability to see ghosts, the action in this book begins with a ghostly horse and rider. But that is only the tip of the iceberg … throw in some unusual beings, some suspicious architecture, strange inhabitants with even stranger habits, a little science and a bit of history and you have a really good Odd Thomas Book.

Personally, I have found Mr. Koontz (one of my long time favourite authors) to be a bit “hit and miss” lately (I really hated 77 Shadow Street) so I was a little apprehensive about picking up the Odd Thomas instalment. I enjoy Odd because he is quirky and, well, odd. As I started reading I could feel myself beginning to cringe as I turned each page because it seemed Odd’s self-deprecating wit and sarcasm had been lost. But I didn’t give up and sure enough, in a perilous scene Odd did a very Odd-like thing and with that I chuckled and we were off to the races. Mr. Koontz had found Odd’s voice again. A definite “should-read” for Odd Thomas fans.