The Casual Vacancy

The Casual Vacancy - J.K. Rowling When Barry Fairbrother dies suddenly a seat on the town council of Pagford is left vacant. Quickly the town realizes that his death left more than that vacany, it left a void in the fabric that holds the town together. As various residents vie for his council seat, personal lives in Pagford are exposed (thanks to a prank allowing “the ghost of Barry Fairbrother” to reveal town secrets) and those same lives begin to unravel in sometimes humorous and more often devastating ways.
Ms. Rowling’s first entry into “grown up” reading was a pleasant surprise. When I first started this book I was not sure I was going to enjoy it (I even rolled my eyes at the name of the lead character … Barry … Harry??) but I soon found myself drawn into life in Pagford.

If you have ever enjoyed an a stroll around the neighbourhood on a pleasant night … you know the time in the evening, when the lights are on in people’s homes but the curtains have not yet been drawn …and you glance in the windows and imagine lives for the people who live there. That’s what reading this book was like for me. I got the stories behind the glass.