The Strain

The Strain - Guillermo del Toro, Chuck Hogan A plane arrives in New York and as it is taxing toward the terminal it goes dark. Completely dark! No power, not communication and no signs of life are apparent. Not knowing what to expect on board investigators call in the CDC. When Dr. Goodweather steps on board the plane he witnesses the unexplainable, all but four passengers are dead. A plague of some sort? Further investigation leads them nowhere and compounding the mystery if the disappearance of a large cabinet listed on the plane’s manifest. It is most definitely a plague. A virus that reanimates the dead into vampires and it is spreading throughout New York city and if not controlled … the world.

I have often stated in my reviews that I am a bit of a purist when it comes to vampires. I like the myths and legends surrounding Dracula. I am also forever drawn to vampire stories. Del Toro and Hogan take the classic vampire lore and give it a 21st century twist, staying true to the bloodthirsty traditions. There are no young, handsome heart-throb vampires in this book, so I can forgive them the lack of fangs. This is the first of a trilogy so I will definitely be reading the following two books.