A Dance with Dragons

A Dance with Dragons - George R.R. Martin The seven Kingdoms are still in a very precarious state. Closing in are all the players vying for the Throne of Swords. They are all closing in but seemingly are not getting any closer. Everyone is in exile, in prison or too far away and too busy staying alive to take a clear foothold.

I liked the book and it pains me to post what amounts to a negative review, especially since I have been a fan of this series from book one, but this one just dragged things out a little too much. I enjoyed the sections of the book dealing with Tyrion and Reek and it was wonderful to see Cersei get a much needed come-uppance. Those parts are what redeemed the book in my eyes. It’s one thing to write an epic saga, but one has to know when to pull the various factions in just a little bit tighter. I also felt that towards the end of the book things were becoming a little too comic-book-ish. I certainly could have done without the lengthy descriptions of Tyrion riding around on his pig. Another excellent series where I felt this happened was the Left Behind series by Jerry B. Jenkins and Tim LaHaye. As things progressed, rather than becoming tighter with more anticipation it sank into cartoonishness. Interestingly enough, it also involved a pig. Ever since Fonzie tried to “jump the shark” that has become a catch-phrase for television shows that have no where else to go. Maybe “riding the pig” could be a catch-phrase for epic book series that are not winding up quickly enough?