Objects of My Affection

Objects of My Affection - Jill Smolinski When we meet Lucy Bloom at the beginning of this book her life has become spartan. In order to send her only son to a drug rehabilitation centre she has sold her house, sold her belongings and even gave up her relationship. The only thing she has left is her beat up red sports car and an upcoming job interview to be a personal organizer. When she accepts the job she has no idea what she has let herself in for and when she meets the lady of the house, Marva she realizes she is going to earn every penny she is set to make. Marva is an artist and a hoarder. Marva wants to part with the possessions overrunning her home, but is finding it difficult to do so. Begrudgingly the two form a friendly alliance until Lucy discovers the secret of Marva’s frantic need to finish the process of decluttering.

Lucy is a believably flawed character trying to do her best with what life has handed her and fighting the guilt of sometimes having to say no to the people in her life. If you enjoy the show hoarders you will like this book. If you are a little bit of a pack-rat this book may make you cringe. If you like an ending wrapped up in a tidy red bow … this is definitely the book for you. A fun, light read that carries an interesting message. I enjoyed this book a great deal.