The Tender Bar

The Tender Bar - J.R. Moehringer Mr. Moehringer’s “Sutton” was the first book I read this year and I thought it was wonderful. Several people suggested that I read “The Tender Bar” so was expecting another enjoyable book. I was not disappointed. Where “Sutton” was historical fiction this title is autobiographical. Suffice it to say that Mr. Moehringer had an interesting start to his life.

Living with his mother, aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparent in a house that threatens to fall apart around them young J.R. knows his absent father only as “The Voice” – a DJ on local radio. Desperate for male influence he begins to spend time in a bar owned by his Uncle Charlie, where he gets guidance in all areas of his life from the various patrons. We follow him through various moves with his mother, always culminating in a return to the dilapidated home of his grandparents, all the way through college and his first job.

Mr. Moehringer writes honestly, although sometimes a little too poetically, and has obviously honed his skills as he moved forward to completing “Sutton”. An excellent memoir.