The Cutting Season

The Cutting Season - Attica Locke Caren Gray and her family have lived and worked on Belle Vie as long as she can recall. Now Caren is managing the sprawling plantation she feels a responsibility to both her staff (Belle Vie is their livelihood) and daughter (Belle Vie being the only home she knows) to keep the place running. The sugar cane plantation next door has always been a concern, but never so much as since the body of a young woman was found on the dividing line between the two properties. As the investigation into the murder continues Caren becomes more and more involved, not only in the police investigation but some of the secrets it uncovers about the plantation and her own family.

Ms. Locke received many accolades for her first book Black Water Rising. I did not read that book so I have no basis for comparison, but in light of all that praise I was a little disappointed in this book. Personally, I felt there was too much going on … was this a murder mystery? Was this a historical look at the old south? Was this a commentary on migrant workers? All of those points make for interesting reading, but combine too many and it just frustrates me as a reader.