The Forgotten

The Forgotten - David Baldacci From the book description: “Army Special Agent John Puller is the best there is. A combat veteran, Puller is the man the U.S. Army relies on to investigate the toughest crimes facing the nation. Now he has a new case-but this time, the crime is personal: His aunt has been found dead in Paradise, Florida.
A picture-perfect town on Florida's Gulf Coast, Paradise thrives on the wealthy tourists and retirees drawn to its gorgeous weather and beaches. The local police have ruled his aunt's death an unfortunate, tragic accident. But just before she died, she mailed a letter to Puller's father, telling him that beneath its beautiful veneer, Paradise is not all it seems to be.
What Puller finds convinces him that his aunt's death was no accident . . . and that the palm trees and sandy beaches of Paradise may hide a conspiracy so shocking that some will go to unthinkable lengths to make sure the truth is never revealed.”

This is the second book featuring Puller. I enjoyed the first book and was looking forward to reading this second instalment in what I assume is going to be a series. The story itself is okay but I was looking for a little more information on characters (his imprisoned brother) he alluded to in the first book. Sadly this did not happen. And quite frankly, by the time I got to the middle of the book I wanted to slam the covers closed every time I read the words “army creds”. Since I am writing this review, obviously I soldiered on (pun fully intended) and finished the book. Despite an interesting surprise twist at the end it is still not Mr. Baldacci’s best effort.