The Dinner

The Dinner - Herman Koch, Sam Garrett Paul and his brother Serge are taking their wives out for dinner at an upscale restaurant. Serge has arranged the dinner at a restaurant that is well out of Paul’s budget. That’s always a problem, but there are other reasons the two brothers do not get along. As the dinner progresses Paul cannot help but continually think back to the unusual happenings at home lately. What exactly is going on with his son? As the dessert course approaches we learn that this dinner is not just an ordinary dinner – the two couples are here to discuss their children.

I have been procrastinating about writing the review of this book because I have a difficult time writing negative reviews. Particularly when the book is well written. And this book is very well written, in my opinion, it just does not live up to the hype. I never got involved enough to care about the characters, so when the big reveal happened I just shrugged my shoulders. A little slow moving and just not my cup of tea. This is one of those cases where, if I had been reading the book rather than listening to it on audio, I would have closed the covers and added it the “nope, cannot finish this” pile.