Dogtripping: 25 Rescues, 11 Volunteers, And 3 RVs On Our Canine Cross-Country Adventure - David Rosenfelt Mr. Rosenfelt is best known for his fictional Andy Carpenter series. Those books always, in one way or another, feature the title character’s dog Tara. Mr. Rosenfelt really did have a dog named Tara, and in her honor founded the Tara Foundation for rescuing Golden Retrievers and finding them new homes. In his efforts to re-home these dogs he often comes across animals that are too old, or too ill, or who, for any number of other reasons cannot be adopted out. These animals become his pets. He takes them home and makes sure their last years are as comfortable and happy as possible. Thank goodness his wife’s love of animals is a great as his, because the doggie head count at the time of the book was 25.

Some interesting pictures of some of his dogs can be found at http://www.wildaboutpets.net/info/innewsdetail.asp?nid=25&ID=1216

The situation this book details comes about when Mr. Rosenfelt and his wife decided to relocate back to Maine. How does one move 25 old, sick and fussy dogs (ahem – family members) across the country? Turns out one does it with 3 RV’s, a lot of help from friends and strangers and a healthy dose of a sense of humor.

This book was a joy to read, with Mr. Rosenfelt’s sarcastic wit causing some laugh-out-loud moments and his recollections of the dogs that have passed through his life causing some Kleenex moments. A must read for dog lovers. The love of my daughter’s life, second only (I think) to her husband, is a re-homed English Bulldog named Everett. She is definitely getting this book for Christmas!