Going Gray: What I Learned about Beauty, Sex, Work, Motherhood, Authenticity, and Everything Else That Really Matters - Anne Kreamer Looking at herself in a picture, standing beside her teenage daughter Ms. Kreamer decided that she did not like the artificial look she had perpetuated for so many years and made the decision to stop coloring her hair. She was 49 years old. In this memoir about following through on that decision Ms. Kreamer tells of all the avenues she explored while “going gray”. Often funny and always insightful she takes us through the experience of gathering opinions on her new “old” look from friends, professional personal style consultants and family members. She takes a hard look on how much time and money her hair coloring has cost her over the years (scary!) and how she felt the gray hair would affect her feelings about her age, her sexuality and of being a vibrant, feminine woman. The results were often not what you would expect … such as when she put herself on a dating site, once as a brunette and once with the gray hair, or when she went bar-hopping with friends, again once as a brunette and then again with gray hair. She pulls no punches when she writes about the white “skunk” stripe which has to be endured and how she eventually made the decision to cut her trademark long locks to expedite the process.

At the risk of TMI, I read this book because I have been toying with the same decision for many years. Becoming a victim of the dreaded gray hair when I was barely into my 20’s, I too am sick of the time and expense required to maintain the façade. When the title of this book popped onto my radar I knew it was one I had to read. I am glad I did.