The Heavy: A Mother, A Daughter, A Diet--A Memoir

The Heavy: A Mother, A Daughter, A Diet--A Memoir - Dara-Lynn Weiss What would you do if you took your cute but chubby little 7-year-old daughter to the pediatrician for an annual check-up only to be told that she was considered obese? That is exactly the situation in which Ms. Weiss found herself. She had the immediate reaction of guilt, as would most mothers. She couldn’t understand it since as a family they ate healthy, limited sugary snacks and engaged in regular activity. Yet here she was being told that her child was obese. How do you explain that to a 7-year-old? How do you put a 7-year-old on a diet? These are the questions this book tackles.

Ms. Weiss enlisted outside professional help as well as help from family and friends in trying to accomplish the task of getting her daughter into a “healthy weight” category. It was not an easy journey for any of them. While I do not agree with all the strategies Ms. Weiss employed, I do admire the courage, persistence and love she showed throughout the journey. I also admire her honesty in writing this book, as she not only includes the successes they achieved but the trials, tribulations and failures as well. She was criticized by friends and family and accosted by strangers during her efforts to keep her daughter on a healthy eating plan, and she made adjustments so that her daughter would not feel ostracized in social situations. Definitely an interesting read.