Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops

Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops - Jen Campbell My daughter worked at Chapters/Indigo all through high school and she often came home with the most amusing stories about customers and their requests. I always told her to write them down! Let’s face it; anyone who has ever worked retail has a pocket full of similar funny stories to tell. When I saw this book reviewed by another reader I had to pick it up to slip into my daughter’s Christmas stocking (of course, with the inscription “I told you so”). She left it lying on the kitchen table one day and I had to pick it up to read it myself. So with a cup of coffee at my elbow I read the book … and it is a little book that does not take longer than a cup of coffee (or two) to get through.

The title is self-explanatory. Jen Campbell owns a bookshop in London, England and over the years has heard some unusual comments and requests. This prompted her to start a bookshop humor blog. The blog got a lot of attention from other booksellers all over the world and they began to contribute their own anecdotes. All of that eventually lead to this book. Although there are some gems in the mix, I think because British humor is a little different from my sense of humor the book was not quite as funny as I had anticipated.

My daughter’s stories were more amusing!