The Invisible Girls: A Memoir

The Invisible Girls: A Memoir - Sarah Thebarge Having survived her battle with breast cancer Sarah Thebarge felt she needed a change in her life. Leaving behind her pre-cancer life she moves to Portland to start over. A chance encounter on a bus changes her life in more ways than she ever could have imagined.
Hadhi, a Somali refugee trying to raise her five daughters alone, in a country where everything is so unfamiliar she is not even aware of how to turn on her oven, happens to be on the same bus that fateful afternoon. Hadhi’s youngest daughter engages Sarah in a little game and Sarah inadvertently places the little girl’s toy in her pocket. Having exchanged telephone numbers Sarah feels compelled to return the toy to the young child. Thus begins an important friendship for both women.

This book is a very poignant memoir of two women fighting two different kinds of battles to survive what life has handed them. I found Sarah’s honestly about her fight with breast cancer moving and, the courage she had to help a family much less fortunate than herself was inspiring. Although I felt compassion for Hadhi and her situation (with much personal disappointment in myself) I found myself becoming almost angry with her at some points of the story because it seemed as if it was easier to put Sarah in the difficult situation of solving some of her problems for her rather than making an honest effort to try and manage on her own. It gave me much to ponder even after I closed the cover on the book.

A very personal insight into both overcoming breast cancer and the plight of refugees (women and children) I commend Ms. Thebarge strength, patience and commitment to making a difference.