The Day is Dark

The Day is Dark - Yrsa Sigurdardottir Thora Gudmundsdottir is a single mother, an unexpected grandmother, a struggling lawyer and a magnet for mysteries. Sitting in her office one afternoon wishing for something more riveting than pre-nuptial agreements to come across her desk Thora receives a call from her boyfriend Matthew, offering her a chance to do some investigative work for a bank fearing a huge investment loss at a Greenland research facility. Despite her craving for some excitement she is reluctant to travel so far away but takes the job anyway. Researchers have disappeared under very mysterious circumstances and a strange video of the last two at the facility sheds no light on what happened to them other than it was something grizzly.

Ms. Siguroardottir’s other Thora mysteries have all taken place in Iceland so I was a little apprehensive about the Greenland setting for this one. I needn’t have been. The author does a wonderful job of describing the setting, remote as it is and I learned a lot about the history and just how remote Greenland really is. The story itself, however, left a little to be desired. While her other books moved along at a fairly brisk pace and held my interest with Icelandic superstitions and folk tales as well as the plotline, the book moved a little to slowly. It still contained facts and local lore (Greenland-ic) but the plot itself dragged. I felt there were too many possibilities and too many players in The Day is Dark.

Here’s to hoping that the next installment in the series takes the reader back to Iceland, Thora’s family and the interesting mysteries I have come to expect.