Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs Jacob Portman has been listening to his grandfather’s stories for most of his life and the older Jacob became the less he believed these tales. They just seemed too fantastical to be true. When Jacob’s grandfather suddenly dies his death seems to be somehow connected to all the stories. While helping his family dispose of his grandfather’s things, Jacob comes across a letter with an unfamiliar and mysterious signature. As Jacob begins to unravel the mystery of his grandfather’s life people begin to think he is losing his grasp on reality as much as they believed his grandfather had. Until he manages to talk his father into a trip to Ireland where everything falls into place … and all the stories he’s been told turn out to be true.

I usually do not read “fantasy” but the pictures in this book turned out to be too irresistible not to pick it up. I’ve often looked at pictures and paintings and thought to myself that it would be interesting to try and come up with a story about the image. Mr. Riggs took that thought and ran with it. The fact that he had these more than fantastic images and chose to share them in the context of the book was fascinating. Although I enjoyed the story a great deal, it did not leave me with the lingering need to pick up the sequel but I did browse through it just to see the pictures.

I have been going through some old boxes of pictures that my mother had and thought I had come to the decision to throw away any pictures of people I could not identify. Mr. Riggs’ unusual hobby of “collecting pictures of people he does not know” has led to another book called “Talking Pictures: Images and Messages Rescued from the Past” and that is a book I think I may pick up. The concept intrigues me and has made me rethink the idea of tossing those old pictures.