Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back - Todd Burpo, Lynn Vincent Colton Burpo was four years old when he needed an emergency appendectomy. There is no medical evidence that he technically “died” on the operating table, yet when he awoke from surgery he began telling his father (a Pastor) the miraculous time he had heaven. Colton heard angels singing, met his grandfather, talked to Jesus and even interacted with his sister (his mother had miscarried).

It is difficult to review a book like this because personal beliefs and prejudices strongly influence the reading experience. I picked it up out of curiosity. Even setting personal beliefs aside I found this book a little difficult to read. I believe that Mr. Burpo truly believes in his son’s experience and it is a heart-warming story for those who choose to take it a face value but I found that Mr. Burpo’s telling of his son’s story was a bit of a “hard sell”. I am sure it will also be a touching movie (which I will not be going to see).