Dorothy Must Die

Dorothy Must Die - Danielle  Paige From the back cover:
“I didn't ask for any of this. I didn't ask to be some kind of hero.
But when your whole life gets swept up by a tornado – taking you with it – you have no choice but to go along, you know?
Sure, I've read the books. I've seen the movies. I know the song about the rainbow and the happy little blue birds. But I never expected Oz to look like this. To be a place where Good Witches can't be trusted, Wicked Witches may just be the good guys, and winged monkeys can be executed for acts of rebellion. There's still the yellow brick road, though—but even that's crumbling.
What happened?
Dorothy. They say she found a way to come back to Oz. They say she seized power and the power went to her head. And now no one is safe.
My name is Amy Gumm—and I'm the other girl from Kansas.
I've been recruited by the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked.
I've been trained to fight.
And I have a mission:
Remove the Tin Woodman's heart.
Steal the Scarecrow's brain.
Take the Lion's courage.
Then and only then—Dorothy must die!”

Amy Gumm is a punk-ish teenager whose home life is nothing to rave about. When she gets to Oz all of a sudden she is the center of attention and the only one that can stop “evil” Dorothy from stealing all the magic in Oz for herself. Kudos to Amy – she rises to the occasion, but in doing so she appears to become almost as nasty as “evil” Dorothy.

Another YA title that intrigued me when I read the premise. Sadly, this one didn’t quite live up to the hype it has received. I know it’s a work of fantasy, but I just could not get on board with what was happening as the story progressed. I recognize the trend in YA books (Hunger Games) of late being filled with “violence and coarse language” – I can accept that – obviously, teens (hopefully mid-teens as opposed to “tweens”) are a little more immune to it than we were when I was a teen (and yes – I realize I am dating myself). The writing, however, was definitely YA. Very poor YA! I didn’t enjoy the book at all but plugged through anyway. Judging from the ending it is the start of a series and it looks like there will be at least two, possibly three more.

After I finished this book it was brought to my attention by another reader that, “OMG – this was Full Fathom Five publication”. I had never heard of this company, but apparently it has some readers and authors up in arms. There is no website to check it out directly, but there is a Guardian article at
as well as a good blog post describing what FFF is all about at http://www.snugglyoranges.com/2014/01/full-fathom-five-boycott-books/
I’ll leave it at that, since a review is not an appropriate forum for this discussion.