the inquisitors key

the inquisitors key - Jefferson Bass Dr. Bill Brockton’s assistant Miranda is spending the summer doing some forensic bone work in Avignon, France. Dr. Brockton’s feelings for Miranda have been becoming a little more personal than professional, so when he receives a call that she has fallen ill and is hospitalized in France he jumps on the next plane. Turns out its all a ruse used to get him to Avignon without anyone knowing (overhearing) the real reason. Miranda takes him to a “find” in the Palace of Popes which may or may not be the basis behind the Shroud of Tourin and may or may not be the actual bones of Jesus Christ. Whether they are or not … someone believes they are and want those bones … at all costs.

The three books that I have read in this series have all had parallel story lines, one in the present and one in the past. I guess when you are writing about a forensic anthropologist there has to be something that happened in the past. In this book it goes way, way into the past, the 14th century to be exact. I have read some recent reviews that panned this book for too much detail about what went on in the history of the Catholic Church and the world of art and artists back then, but I loved that part of the book. There was a lot of suspense in this novel and much to the relief of Dr. Brockton (I’m sure), not one snake.

I listened to this book on audio and if I was forced to nit-pick at something, I would have to call out Tom Stechschulte for his French accent. He does an amazing job overall at reading these books, but the French accent came off a little too Germanic for me, and I was quite relieved when the accented character met his demise, so the accent could also be put to rest. In general, I am still very much enjoying this series and will go in search of some other titles … even if they are out of order.