The Gods of Guilt

The Gods of Guilt - Michael Connelly Mickey Haller (The Lincoln Lawyer) receives a strange text on his phone that included the penal code for murder. He discovers that the victim is someone from his past. A prostitute he had helped on more than one occasion. His last interaction with her had been to give her money and send her on her way to a, hopefully, better life out of the business. As it turns out she did not go as far as he thought, nor did she give up her chosen career. Guilt and a bar of gold as payment for services convince Mickey that he needs to take this case. It also feels to Mickey that this is the case that may offer some redemption for himself and in the eyes of his daughter for past bad choices – so he has to win this case.

I read the Lincoln Lawyer and loved it, so I went on to read a few other books in the series. When the Haller/Bosch books started to intersect to the point where I felt I might have to read all the Bosch books to stay caught up, I gave up on the series. I was just not THAT invested. I picked up this book because it received some positive reviews on several sites. I cannot say that I did like this book, I did. It had the prerequisite and well-done courtroom antics I enjoy. However, considering I pretty much read the first book, one or two in the middle and this, the latest in the series I would have expected the characters to have developed a little more. Not so. I didn’t feel like I missed anything by not reading the other “in between” books. For me to invest some reading time in a series I have to enjoy revisiting the characters to find out what went on in their lives while we were apart. In this case the answer was … not much! I don’t think I’ll be picking up another one.